Monday, February 11, 2013

Meet My Friend, Stephen

(He's the second on the left)


I met Stephen when I joined the HAST and LP swim teams back in my freshman year of high school. I don't remember ever hanging out with him much those first few years, but I do remember thinking that him and Daniel were hilarious and were really fun to be around. Well, fast forward to my junior year. Elise and I decided we wanted to ask Stephen and Daniel to the Sadie Hawkins dance. I don't think I will ever forget that night we asked them. We were soooo nervous! We had no idea why we were so nervous, but we were. Turned out to be such a fun date/dance. I became better friends with him those last two years of high school and then through our swimmer dinner tradition after graduating. Stephen's one of those people that is always happy and positive. He was diagnosed with cancer towards the end of his mission and had to start treatment right away. Over the next two years, I will never forget his optimism throughout all the hospital stays and long, long days. Every time I saw him, he was always happy and positive. I feel like he cheered me up, when I should have cheering him up! He's been an incredible example to me and I'm so grateful to have crossed paths with him.

His treatments took a turn for the worse just after Christmas break and he passed away on the 24th. I was at a training that day and was about to leave to the social when I saw I had a text from Taryn asking me to call her as soon as I could. I immediately knew what had happened. It was all I could do to fight back the tears so I wasn't sobbing in the office. A few people asked if I was going to the dinner, but I just broke out in tears. I spent the rest of the night on the phone, calling and texting friends and  family. It was hard to wrap my head around the fact that I had lost a member of my swimmer family. I will miss Stephen's smile and cheerfulness. I am happy that he no longer has to be in pain, but he will be greatly missed. I am so very grateful for the Gospel and the knowledge I have that he is in a better place and that I will one day get to see him again. Love you Stephen!

1 comment: