My Grandma VanDyke passed away last week after being diagnosed with cancer back in February. It's been quite the roller coaster over the past few months since it was so sudden and unexpected and then with her quick decline. It's been a lesson to me of just how quickly life can take an unexpected turn and that we should never take things for granted. It was also a good reminder that I need to just enjoy every moment I have with those I love because I never know what could suddenly change.
My Grandma was one of the most selfless people I know; she was constantly looking for ways she could help someone out. She was often in the background of events, quietly serving everyone around her. My mom is also someone who stays longer than everyone else helping to clean up. I know as a kid it was frustrating cause we would want to leave but my mom would tell us we needed to help clean up before we could go. It was super annoying as a kid to have to stay after friends and cousins already left, but I've grown to appreciate that lesson I've learned, and I know my mom learned it from her mom. Unfortunately for my children, I am the same way, but hopefully they'll one day come to appreciate or at least tolerate it :)
My Grandma also taught me how to clean well and to work hard. Amber and I were lucky enough to have the opportunity to spend a few weeks in the summer several years ago with Grandma and Grandpa while we worked at a lodge. It was there that I learned many valuable lessons from my grandparents and just enjoyed the time with them even though we did get annoyed at times :) Grandma was the queen of making do with what she had and was an excellent quilter and sewer. Her birthday cards and Christmas were always so thoughtful, and while they were never anything big, I know that they were made with so much love. I will miss her but am glad she is no longer in pain. I am also so very grateful for the Gospel and the knowledge it brings that I will get to see her again someday. Love you Grandma!!
No comments:
Post a Comment